Here are some tips to help you get your year off to a good start!
1. SIMPLIFY- The less complicated your life, the easier it will be to manage.
2. THINK BEFORE YOU BUY - Think twice before impulse shopping. As we live in a consumerist economy we have developed a habit for shopping. Many times we purchase items that we already have and do not need creating more clutter. Before you buy, make sure the item will serve your life.
3. RE: JUNK MAIL - When ordering products (online, by phone or by a catalog) ask the customer service rep to please not add you to any list. And if you get on one, call immediately to have them take you off. This is the same idea for donations, you can let them know you make your donations on-line and prefer not to get mailings. Think of all the trees that we can save if we all did this!
4. KEEP LIKE ITEMS TOGETHER – Use a system that makes sense to you. Store items together that are used for similar purposes, it will be easier to find later.
5. CONSISTENCY – Once that system above is created, form the habit of consistently using it. Duplication and consistency is an important key to staying organized.
6. REUSABLE CONTAINERS – Small cardboard boxes that you receive a product in can make a great container to hold other items for organizing. Use a large marker or printed label to record what is inside. This is a great way to store items in a closet that may need to be found later.
7. REGULAR PURGING – Make a habit of going through your home to do regular purging. I like to do this seasonally (fall and spring) but can be done anytime. Schedule times in your day timer to go through your closets and purge, purge, purge. There are many places to donate items you don’t use & therefore don’t need. When we let go of items stagnating we create more space, time and energy.
8. PLAN AHEAD – Use a calendar. Either online or a day timer/planner book. Then of course you must review it! I often look at my planner before I go to bed to see what the next day has in store for me. With this practice I am prepared for the following day without forgetting things.
9. FOCUS - Finish projects before starting new ones. We all have little annoying things we put off because they are our least favorite. These usually end up being those things that sit in our to do box or folder endlessly. If we really want the piles to go away we need to create a little time in our day or week, to accomplish even the miniscule tasks. And if you really can’t bring yourself to do it, ask for help.
10. ASK FOR HELP - Last and certainly not least, when you get overwhelmed ask for help. You can make it a family fun day or if you cannot recruit the family, you can always call a professional. Sometime it takes a friendly helper to get us going.
Please feel free to contact me if you would like any more details about any of the above tips or want to schedule an appointment. I offer a FREE 30 minute phone consultation to any new clients. For current clients, I offer 1 hr of my time for any new referrals.
~Blessings for your 2010, may we manifest our visions and create love and peace!~